Background Image for Header:
External assessment resources
For those who'd like to see what other best practice institutions are doing in the assessment and assessment-related arena, check out the links below.
- AACU's Value Rubrics are invaluable assessment tools and cover a wide range of common competencies, from written communication to critical thinking.
- The AALHE is one of the premier national associations for assessment professionals and professional development in the country. Their annual conference is well worth the time.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education is must-read stuff for best practices, national debates, and regulatory shifts, all of which often affect assessment professionals.
- EAB is a best practices firm to which WVU belongs. It provides a lot of research, data, and information from partner institutions.
- HLC's Criteria for Accreditation should be something every assessment professional knows chapter and verse. Their annual conference is still my preferred form of professional development.
- Inside Higher Ed also has strong articles from time to time relating to assessment.
- Linda Suskie's blog is a great place for anyone who deals with assessment to ask questions, get advice, and participate in the national discourse around assessment of learning.
- Lumina Foundation's Degree Qualifications Profile is a learning-centered framework that can guide institutional assessment and curriculum practices.
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA) provides a wealth of research and resources on assessment, not the least of which is their regular survey of chief academic officers regarding assessment. Their Transparency Framework is a tremendous tool for institutional assessment officers.
- NILOA's Featured Website page is worth a separate mention as it highlights a number of assessment websites from around the country in several different categories.
- POD (Professional and Organizational Development) Network has a number of resources that assessment professionals would benefit from.
- The Virginia Assessment Group maintains a website that serves all of the state's colleges and universities by providing resources, information, communication, and annual events.
Institutional Assessment Websites
- James Madison University has a great site that features professional development in assessment.
- Jon Mueller at North Central College
has a good resource for creating authentic course assessments that then
align with program learning outcomes and assessment goals.
- Purdue's Data Digest is an amazing example of forward facing institutional data that could be used for any number of assessment and evaluative purposes.
- The University of Florida has an incredible series of videos and supporting modules that introduce assessment topics from the basics to more advanced practices.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa's Assessment Office's website is one of my personal favorites for a diverse range of resources.
- The University of Maryland
does great work on the assessment of assignments, courses, and programs
through its gen ed program and Office of Undergraduate Studies.
- University of Washington's Center for Teaching and Learning does amazing work on the evaluation of teaching including self-assessment, peer evaluation, and student evaluations. Assessment of learning features prominently in the self-assessment process.
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison does an incredible wide range of assessment-related stuff on their Student Learning Assessment website.
Assessment and Academic Evaluation
- Assessing Student Learning, Linda Suskie
- Assessment Clear and Simple, Barbara Walvoord
- Prioritizing Academic Programs and Services: Reallocating Resources to Achieve Strategic Balance, Robert Dickeson
- Research Design, John and J. David Creswell
- Using Evidence of Student Learning, George Kuh et al
Teaching and Learning
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning, Peter Brown
- Small Teaching, James Lang
- Teaching Naked, Jose Antonio Bowen
- Why Don't Students Like School?, Daniel Willingham
- Applied Psychological Measurement
- Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education
Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy, and Practice
Educational and Psychological Assessment
- Educational Assessment
- Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability
- The International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment
- The International Journal of ePortfolio
- The Journal of Technology, Learning and Assessment
- Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation
- Review of Educational Research
- Studies in Higher Education