Skip to main content

Other Tuition Agreements

Besides the Academic Common Market, WVU has additional tuition agreements with Ohio and other institutions. 

These agreements allow certain out-of-state students to pay in-state tuition rates. 

Other Tuition Agreements

The Academic Common Market (ACM) is the most well-known tuition agreement that WVU has with other states. However, the university has additional agreements that might be of benefit for certain students.

Unlike the ACM, students who qualify for the following reciprocity agreements have the in-state tuition rates applied automatically. Students do not need to apply to qualify for these rates. 

Be sure to follow the Tuition Reciprocity Agreement Guidelines if you participate. 

Garrett County, Maryland, Reciprocity Agreement

West Virginia University agrees to enroll residents of Garrett County, Maryland, as full/part -time baccalaureate degree seeking students at resident tuition and fee rates based on criteria established by West Virginia University at Its main campus In Morgantown and Its Potomac State College campus near Keyser . Students must have an associate's degree from Garrett College. In cases where the student's time to baccalaureate degree completion would be extended unnecessarily by completing the associate degree requirements at Garrett College, the student may be considered for early transfer to West Virginia University without an associate's degree from Garrett College. Garrett College students may be accepted to West Virginia University under this agreement only If the student applies to be enrolled In a program not available at Frostburg State University. Garrett College students who wish to enroll In degree programs In engineering with the exception of mechanical engineering, or In the five year teacher education program, with the exception of students Interested In teaching Math, Science or Technology are also covered under this reciprocity agreement.

Students in the Tuition Reciprocity Agreement program must remain in good academic standing (2.0 or better GPA) and continue to make good academic progress toward entry into the major or completion of major program requirements. 

Students on probation or judged to not be making progress toward entry into or completion of the approved program will be removed from the Reciprocity Agreement Program and charged out-of-state tuition.

Additional programs outside of the approved major's plan of study are not eligible for resident tuition rate.

Students taking summer classes may take up to 12 credit hours across both 6-week sessions. The courses must be major specific.

Deadlines for applying, reapplying or changing to a new major:
Fall Semester – July 31
Spring Semester – December 15
Summer Term – April 30

Ohio Reciprocity Agreement

As the result of a special agreement, students from Ohio who are fully admitted to certain majors can enroll at WVU and pay in-state tuition rates.
  • Students must be enrolled full time in an approved program as authorized by the Reciprocity Agreement.  Additional programs outside of the approved major's plan of study are not eligible for resident tuition.
Students must be admitted to both the University and the particular major. 

These programs include:

College of Creative Arts
Art History (BA)
Graphic Design
Studio Art with Education Emphasis
Theatre (BA/BFA) 

College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences

Athletic Coaching Education (B.S.P.Ed.)
Sport and Exercise Psychology (B.S.P.Ed.) 

Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources

Mining Engineering (B.S.Min.E.)*
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering (B.S.PNGE.)*
*In-state tuition only applicable for the junior and senior years.

Students will be eligible for the tuition reduction once they move into their specific engineering discipline, which typically happens after the first year, once a student has completed the following classes and has a 2.25 GPA: Engineering 101, Engineering 102, Engineering 199,Math 155, Chemistry 115, and English 101. In addition, acceptance into the Statler College’s B.S. degree in Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering is highly competitive. Enrollment into the program will be based on the applicant’s college-level GPA.

Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design

Agribusiness Management & Rural Development (BS/BS Agr)
Agricultural & Extension Education (BS Agr)
Agronomy (BS/BS Agr)
Animal & Nutritional Sciences (BS/BS Agr)
Biochemistry (BS)
Design Studies (BS)
Environmental & Natural Resource Economics (BS/BS Agr)
Environmental, Soil and Water Sciences (BSAGR) formally, Environmental Protection (BS/BS Agr) 
Forest Resource Management (BS Forestry)
Horticulture (BS/BS Agr)
Human Nutrition & Food (BS)
Recreation, Parks, & Tourism Resources (BS Recreation)
Wildlife & Fisheries Resources (BS)
Wood Science & Technology (BS) 

Eberly College of Arts and Sciences

Biochemistry (BA)
Chemistry (BA/BS)
Mathematics (BA/BS)
Physics (BA/BS)

Reed College of Media